Originally published on May 12, 2012 9:58 am
More links from this week:
- Interesting discussions at George Colligan's blog this week. An informed opinion on the charge that music schools produce "cookie cutter" musicians. Some thoughts on sight reading, that misunderstood skill among the jazz community. And a low brass forum erupts.
- At the WBGO blog, there are interviews with master drummer and educator Charlie Persip and saxophonist Kenny Garrett, who you may know has recently put out a new studio album. Also, memories of Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette from the JazzSet vaults.
- Capsulocity is a short video interview series with young (mostly jazz) musicians in New York. We mentioned it earlier this week but only in passing.
- This week in Esperanza Spalding: JazzTimes cover story. From one of A Blog Supreme's newest contributors.
- Guitarist Vernon Reid briefly talks Spectrum Road, the new jazz-rock supergroup with Jack Bruce (of Cream), John Medeski and Cindy Blackman Santana.
- Pianist Myra Melford is one of five winners of the 2012 Alpert Awards in the Arts. The award is worth $75,000.
- Lester Young, clarinetist. He was known as a tenor saxophonist, of course, but also kept a cheap metal clarinet on his arsenal. From Aesthetic, Not Anesthetic, who also recontextualizes, say, early cornetist Red Nichols.
- A new film about jazz in India is out. And the Times article manages to avoid all "Calcutta Cutie" references.
- The Jazz Gallery, a New York venue supporting emerging artists, needs to move and raise a whole bunch of money to do it. (NPR Music has recorded live from the Gallery in recent years.) Howard Mandel reports.
- More on Cecil Taylor, who is being feted this month in New York. Seth Colter Walls reviews an early tribute.
- At last, an obituary for iconic jazz matron Phoebe Jacobs.
- Bix Beiderbecke's prep school dorm room is being destroyed.
- Destination: Out posts a rare Cecil Taylor bit.
- The Jazz Session spoke with pianist George Colligan and saxophonist Steve Lehman.
- The Checkout features student jazz ensemble recordings, from WBGO's celebration of Jazz Appreciation Month.
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- Endangered Blood: Tiny Desk Concert.
- JazzSet features a Miles Davis/Gil Evans tribute from the Monterey Jazz Festival.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz features Daryl Sherman's tribute to Johnny Mercer.
- Violinist Scott Tixier is featured on Song of the Day.
Copyright 2012 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.