Originally published on June 1, 2012 7:59 pm
Other news from this past week:
- Jerry Gonzalez and the Fort Apache Band, a cornerstone band for the New York Latin jazz community, are profiled briefly in the New York Daily News.
- RIP Pete Cosey, guitarist with Miles Davis during his "electric" years, among tons of other work.
- Incredibly funny stories from the Jim Cullum Jazz Band, a trad-jazz outfit. They're the folks on Riverwalk Jazz. Jim Cullum himself has a blog too.
- Capitalbop, the D.C. DIY presenter/blog/show calendar/hub/main gig of a NPR Music contributor is profiled at the Washington Post.
- Interview with Mazz Swift for About.com. She's a versatile violinist based in the New York area with a new string trio record.
- "On the construction of Wynton Marsalis' Cultural Authority." It's about the rhetoric Wynton uses.
- Muhal Richard Abrams, pianist and composer, was named a Living Legacy Awardee by the Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation. This is not long after receiving an honorary doctorate from Columbia University.
- Suspicious activity at a jazz club in Turkey.
- A 1975 assessment of Charlie Parker. The first word is not reprintable.
- RIP Don Wilson, Philadelphia cop — and jazz musician.
- Jazz writer says the Internet is changing the way his brain processes live music. TL;DR.
- On the golf supply store which hosts jazz shows.
- Apparently, brass are Republicans and woodwinds are Democrats, says one political columnist. (I would think many jazz trumpeters would object to that.)
- Destination: Out features a Jazz Composers Orchestra record helmed by trombonist Roswell Rudd.
- The Jazz Session spoke with guitarist Miles Okazaki and vocalist Nicky Schrire.
- The Checkout sat down with Henry Cole and had organist Jared Gold in the studio.
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- Jack DeJohnette, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke in the studio.
- Henry Cole and the Afrobeat Collective: Live in concert.
- Gilad Hekselman Quartet: Live in concert.
- JazzSet features Russell Malone.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz features Barbara Carroll.
- Masabumi Kikuchi's new album is reviewed on Fresh Air.
- Melody Gardot's new Brazilian album is reviewed on All Things Considered.
- BADBADNOTGOOD is featured on Song of the Day.
Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.